History of Astronomy: Topics: Solar System
Solar System Astronomy, by William Nielsen Brandt
- A timeline
Chronology of Solar System Discovery, by Bill Arnett (Or see
Inventing the Solar System: Early Greek
Scientists Struggle to Explain How the Heavens Move by Ellen N. Brundige
- A student's short course paper
- Contents: Introduction; Names listed by planetary system;
Alphabetical list of names; Appendices. Including short biographical
information on persons who's names were used.
The Nine Planets, by Bill Arnett
- Overview of the history, mythology, and
current scientific knowledge of each of the planets and moons in our
- Planets/moons that has been believed to exist by astronomers at one
time, but which later 'vanished'
Titius-Bode's Law: Numerical Chance or Insight into Physical Phenomenon?,
by A.G. LeBlanc
- Including a historical introduction
Cosmic Harmony and Titius and Bode's Law
Delta, a polish journal aimed at high-school students.
Natural Satellite Physical Properties and Discovery Data
JPL's HORIZONS System
- The JPL HORIZONS On-Line Solar System Data and Ephemeris
Computation Service provides access to key solar system data and
flexible production of highly accurate ephemerides for solar system
objects (15000+ asteroids and comets, 61 natural satellites, 9 planets, the
Sun). - Recently the JPL planetary and lunar ephemeris files have been
extended to the interval -3000 through +3000 making the HORIZONS system
of potential interest to historians of astronomy.
History of Astronomy: Topics: Solar Astronomy
- Including a short history of mythology and exploration.
- RGO Information Leaflet No. 43; with short information on the
history of discovery.
Myths about Uranus
Minor Planets (Asteroids)
Meteors and Meteorites
History of Astronomy: Topics: Celestial Mechanics
History of Astronomy: Topics: Space Exploration
History of Astronomy: Topics: World Systems
Wolfgang R. Dick.
Created: 1 Aug 1996.
Latest update: 13 May 2004