Current lectures by N. Langer

NUCLEOSYNTHESIS




Lecture term: May 14 - July 23, 2021

Times: Thu 11:15-12:45 and Fri 9:15-10:00
Online here: (https://uni-bonn.zoom.us/j/93894266387?pwd=YUZzQkJ6elhINzVRdi9kcXNYa3dlQT09) see below for detailed login



Exercise class: May 17 - July 23, 2021

Times: tbd
Online, in the same zoom room as the lecture. The exercise class is a compulsory part of the course.





Presentations:
Each student is expected to give a presentation of 15 minutes (10+5), to discuss a recent research paper on a topic in nucleosynthesis. A list of suggested papers will be available here.

NOTE: if the paper file is compressed (ends with .gz), it has already been chosen by somebody.



The setup of this class is as follows: in the lectures, it is assumed that you worked through the corresponding chapter of the day (see time table below) beforehand. During the lecture, we will discuss the most relevant topics of the lectures, and the most relevant questions you have about this. You need to email your questions before Wednesday 13:00 to Koushik Sen and Xiao-Tian Xu (ksen@astro.uni-bonn.de> and xxu@astro.uni-bonn.de) so that they can be considered for the lectures. In your email, please use "NucSyn" as subject, and mention at the beginning of your question the corresponding subsection of the lecture notes. Te required number of questions is indicated in the table below. Note that 40% of the grade for this lecture will be based on your questions. The other 60% will be based on your presentation. Your presence in the lectures, and in the excercise class, is also a requirement to earn the credit points for this class.

Lecture Time Table

Date weekday and time Chapter email questions
May 14 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Ch.1: Intro
May 20 Thu, 11:15-12:45 Ch.2: Therm. reactions 2 Qs by Wed, May 19, 13:00
May 21 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Ch.3: Big Bang Nucleosunthesis 2 Qs by Wed, May 19, 13:00
June 4 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Ch.4: Hydrogen burning 2 Qs by Wed, June 2, 13:00
June 10 Thu, 11:15-12:45 Ch.4: CNO, NeNa, MgAl cycles 2 Qs by Wed, June 9, 13:00
June 11 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Ch.5.1: Advanced burning processes 2 Qs by Wed, June 9, 13:00
June 17 Thu, 11:15-12:45 Ch.5.1: s-process 4 Qs by Wed, June 16, 13:00
June 18 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Ch.5.1 s-process (cont.)
June 24 Thu, 11:15-12:45 Ch.5.2: r-process 2 Qs by Wed, June 23, 13:00
June 25 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Ch.5.2: Core collapse supernovae and p-process 2Qs by Wed, June 23, 13:00
July 1 Thu, 11:15-12:45 Ch.6: Thermonuclear supernovae 2 Qs by Wed, June 30, 13:00
July 2 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Student presentations I
July 8 Thu, 11:15-12:45 Cosmic ray nucleosynthesis 2 Qs by Wed, July 7, 13:00
July 9 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Student presentations II
July 16 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Student presentations III
July 23 Fri, 9:15-10:00 Ch.7: Chemical evolutions


Last updated: May 11, 2021